10 Most Unique Ways to Study Biology Before Exams
Are you prepared for the upcoming Biology Exam? Would you like to know how you can totally ace the exam and impress your teachers? There’s a ten step guide that can help to achieve exactly what you want! So what are you waiting for? Read on!
- The question lies within the answers.
You’ve got the answers (in form of books and class notes), and it is from these same sources that your teacher is going to frame the questions. So your job is to turn into a human scanner and scan through the chapters to find out probable questions. If one follows their class lectures attentively, they’ll have a fair idea about what’s important. So it is those areas that questions will come from. Just figure out what those questions can be.
- Once you know the questions, it’s time to get the answers.
Having figured out the probable questions, students must start focusing on writing perfect answers. The materials are there in books or notes, they must be used appropriately and one must mug up the answers accordingly. Complete one question and then move on to another. Such topic based or question-based preparation always proves to be effective.
- Don’t wander blindly, follow a track!
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for students to know the pattern of the question paper and to prepare accordingly. Find out from your teachers whether the paper is going to have long questions or short ones or both. If the paper only has long questions, you’ll have to focus on the significant parts and with a bit of luck, you’ll get away without too much of hard work. However, shorts questions can be tricky and can peep out from any corner of the chapters. Hence, you’ve got to find out the rats and have them killed!
- Become Picasso for a day or two!
Let the exams be your Muse! Mark out which are the important diagrams and practice them one by one. I need to repeat this again and again because students take this so casually and never practice their hands, as a result, most of the time they end up forgetting things. So keep practicing until you’re absolutely confident that you know the diagram by your heart and soul. A diagram missing important parts can be disastrous for your grades. So it’s better to not take a chance!
- Don’t forget to label, Picasso!
A painting is worth a thousand words in general. But in an exam hall, a painting, no matter even if it’s a masterpiece, is worth nothing unless it has the requisite words around it. So while you’re practicing the diagrams, do focus on the labeling as well. If you miss out one, trust me you’ll be penalized for that.
This was one of my habits to forget the labels but they are kind of important, and I learnt it the hard way. Try not to make the same mistake.
- Small things can make a big difference.
Something as silly as ‘spellings’ can make a huge difference in your score. Say you’ve mugged up all the answers, and the paper was pretty easy for you, you’ve answered all questions and have great expectations about the grades. But turns out, something went wrong. And this was nothing but a few silly spelling mistakes. You might want to pull your hairs out in moments like this, therefore, take some precautions beforehand. This is particularly important in case of Biology because here you have words like Bamboosa Aridinarifolia, Anthocephalus Indicus, Azadhirachta indica, and Artocarpus Integra! So do not underestimate the power of spellings when it comes to messing your grades. When one is required to remember a series of such exotic names for very common plants, it’s not uncommon to end up forgetting things!
- Even Batman needs Robin, and you think you can manage it alone?
Every student will surely feel the need of assistance at some point while preparing for the exam. One must never subdue this instinct to get some help. It can only be beneficial for you. Instead, ignoring the questions that arise in one’s mind or not understanding the concepts clearly will only leave an unwanted loophole in their preparation.
Therefore, if at any time the student feels he might need some assistance, he is to immediately get in touch with his teachers. If for any reason that’s not an available option, then students have another kind of help which will always be available to them. Students can look out for online biology assignment help that will provide them with instant solutions. They’ll no longer need to waste their time waiting for the teachers, since this kind of help is attainable practically at any hour of the day.
- Revise as long as there’s time.
First goal is to cover the entire syllabus and once that is done, one must revise the chapters or important points as many times as they can. This will mend the gaps in the preparation, if there were any in the first place. It’s also important that students save some time for revision before leaving for the examination. This literal last moment revision works wonders as it freshens up the memory and helps to remember the answers promptly while writing an exam.
Ways to ensure the preparation is complete:
- Ask yourself questions and check if you can answer them without seeing.
- Call up your friends and enquire about their preparation, try to find out if you’ve missed something out.
- Better make a list of things to be covered, and check if everything’s done.
- If possible, get hold of previous years’ question papers and solve them to see how much you know. This will also give students an insight into the questions which they might have missed out. In that case, they can quickly prepare an answer to that question as well.
- Understand instead of swallowing the chapters word by word:
Biology is such a subject which becomes much easier to deal with if it’s first understood and then mugged up. Students will be learning about things such as the respiratory system, so if they use their imagination a bit and think of their own body while studying, they’ll remember things more easily. You learn that your heart has two auricles and two ventricles and you picture them inside yourself. Imagine where the pulmonary artery is, where all the veins are and while reading the process of their working, imagine how it’s happening inside your body. It is a fun way to study. Besides, this can help in creating a long-lasting memory.
The best part is, if a student understands how things work, he’ll be able to form his answers sitting in the exam hall, even if he forgets the structured answer he had prepared. That’s how toppers manage to score high grades. It is not that they don’t forget, but they understand their subjects and can tackle the situations with true knowledge.
- Relax, do not stress, trust yourself and give your best performance
The last thing that one needs to know about the best kind of preparation is not study related at all. It is concerned with the management of his own self, his mind and body. Students worry too much before exams, they get all stress and give in to palpitations. These things are not desirable at all. You’ve got to get a grip on your nerves and keep them calm. Do not put too much pressure on yourself; take intervals during the study sessions; when things get too hard, breathe in and breathe out, cool down and start again. There is no reason why you can’t do well in the exam: make yourself understand this point.
Students have a tendency of neglecting their health prior to the exams. This is a very bad practice. One must ensure that he gets adequate sleep before the exams and follows a proper diet. If the body stops functioning properly, exams will definitely get affected.
Few Extra tips:
These are some miscellaneous tips that will come handy during the exam.
- Firstly, coerce your teachers to allow you revision sessions when students get to ask questions or get their doubts cleared. Ideally during these sessions, teachers reveal relevant information about the important topics and this will helps students in getting an idea about the probable questions.
- Keep the necessary things like pencil, pen, eraser, sharpener, scale, ID card and other required documents ready beforehand. One cannot waste time searching for these things before they go out to give the exam. Keeping them ready before hand will save time and unnecessary stress.
- Take ample time for preparation. Don’t expect that you can sit with the book a day before the exam and get it all covered. Students know their syllabus and thus, they should allot themselves a sensible amount of time to prepare for the paper.
Now you are all set for the examination. You know the tricks that are to be followed study hard and follow these strategies, and nothing can stop you from bagging the highest grades!