Are you currently pursuing an academic course in the subject of mechanical engineering?
If so, then probably you are getting concerned about the potential career opportunities that are likely to come to you in the coming days. Because of being an extremely job-oriented program, generally, the students of mechanical engineering do not have to get worried about the possible career options.
However, it is always wise to have a comprehensive knowledge of the probable options and get yourself prepared likewise. Here we are going to discuss the top four career options that would possibly be offered to you once you become successful in attaining a degree of that course.
Before that, let us have a look at what mechanical engineering is and the basic details of the subject.
What is mechanical engineering?
Among the various disciplines of the subject engineering, mechanical engineering is the specific branch that associates general engineering, physics & mathematics, and the material science in order to draft, produce, scrutinize, and keep up a range of mechanical systems.
It is considered to be one among the oldest of all the disciplines of engineering. Taken as a whole, it is the branch of engineering that includes all the sectors of plan, development, implementation, and required management of machines.
What are the different sections of it?
Any academic program of mechanical engineering will surely comprise of the following topics and sub-topics:
- Computer-aided design
- Computer-aided manufacturing
- Materials science
- Product life cycle management
- Structural analysis
With the use of mechanical engineering, the design and production of the following systems are also implemented, which, in turn, are also included in the coursework of the program:
- Heating & cooling systems
- Industrial equipment & machinery
- Manufacturing plants
- Medical devices
- Transport systems
- Weapons and so on.
Thematically, mechanical engineering is closely related to the following branches of engineering and students are often allowed to choose a combination of a few or several of them:
- Aerospace engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Industrial engineering
- Manufacturing engineering
- Mechatronic engineering
- Metallurgical engineering
- Nanotechnology and more.
What are the best career opportunities in this course?
As stated earlier, mechanical engineering as an academic program is highly propitious in view of the fact that it offers attractive career options to the students who become successful in the completion of the course. Among all the prospective career options, the following four are generally considered as the best:
- Architectural and Engineering Managers:
Managing the architectural and engineering machinery and projects is the main aspect of this job. The expected duties of an Architectural and Engineering Manager would involve:
- Creating meticulous arrangements for the expansion of innovative artifacts and designs
- Deciding the workforce, schooling, and apparatus requirements
- Suggesting financial plans for ventures and plans
- Taking employees into service and taking charge of them
- Directing investigation and enlargement schemes to generate up-to-the-minute products, procedures, or plans
- Verifying the mechanical precision of the team’s work
- Making sure the reliability of techniques the workforce make use of
- Matching up labor with other workers and executives
Architectural and engineering managers are accountable for creating the general perception of new merchandise or for resolving the methodological troubles that put a stop to the close of a venture. To get this done, they are required to establish technological objectives and bring comprehensive plans into being.
One of the major duties of a mechanical engineer is to plan a draft for proposed machinery or a project. People deft in drafting are generally taken on in the post of drafters. The main duties of people in this profession are:
- Drawing graphs by means of the computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Working from irregular drafts and designs generated by engineers and planners
- Devising products by making use of engineering and mechanized skills
- Putting in information to architectural diagrams by using their understanding of construction methods
- Identifying measurements, substances, and formulas for the latest products
- Working under the administration of engineers and/or architects
The sketches made by the drafters consist of particulars about how to put up a structure or instrument, the measurements of the venture, and what objects are considered necessary for completing the job.
- Materials Engineers:
Assessing the quality of the raw materials for constructing a machine or a building and determining what type of materials is needed for the project is the job of the materials engineers. Their duties generally include the following:
- Sketching and estimating innovative missions, seeking advice from other engineers and directors as required
- Setting up schemes and financial statements, evaluating employment expenses, noting down statements, and carrying out other supervisory undertakings
- Taking charge of the job of technicians, scientists, technologists, and other engineers
- Planning and being in command of the assessment of procedures under processing
- Supervising how materials perform and assessing how they get worse
- Settling on reasons of product malfunction and building up techniques of finding solutions to such breakdowns
- Estimating technological requirements and trade & industry aspects in relation to the plan ideas of procedures or products
- Assessing the effect of materials getting processed on the surroundings
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians:
Mechanical engineering technicians are usually required to carry out the following duties:
- Assessing plans for new or altered apparatus
- Arranging designs and drawings of divisions to be completed
- Talking about modifications with colleagues
- Appraising directions and proposals for schemes to make certain that assessment conditions and processes are followed closely
- Performing experiments of comprehensive divisions and their constituents, and documenting the outcome
- Evaluating test consequences along with plan conditions and investigation objects and making suggestions for modifications in manufactured goods or in assessment techniques
Career Outlook for Mechanical Students
Mechanical engineering offers a wide variety of career opportunities for students.
There is a lot of scope in government sectors which includes manufacturing industries, turbine manufacturing industries, oil & gas refineries, agro-industries. Industries are making the latest technological innovations, and new opportunities came into existence for mechanical engineers like nanotechnology, development of composite materials, biomedical applications, environmental conservation etc.
Industries that take in mechanical engineers include:
- Aerospace industry
It designs, manufactures, distribute motor vehicles.
- Automotive Industry
It designs, manufactures, operates and maintains aircraft.
- Chemical Industry
It includes all oil companies and chemical industries.
- Construction Industry
It designs and builds the building and off services of the building.
- Consumer Goods Industry
It manufactures products such as household and personal hygiene goods.
- Defense Industry
It provides equipment support and services for armed forces and national security.
- Electronic Industry
It designs, manufactures equipment for sectors from automotive to medicine and the military.
- Marine Industry
It develops and helps operate marine vessels.
- Materials and Metal Industry
It includes activities of developing new materials and manufacturing components.
- Rail Industry
It designs, constructs, and manages rail systems.
- Utility Industry
It helps supply power, water, and waste management.
- Various Job Profiles
- Engineering Product Tester
Engineering Product Tester keeps a check on all the devices and tools used in the industry. This job is always on high demand, and after becoming a mechanical engineer, anyone with knowledge can serve this profile.
- Project Engineer
Project Engineer is a job with an absolute sense of innovation. The main aim is to lead the project and ensure the development of the project. They also keep a check on the progress as well as on the concealed problems.
- Manufacturing Engineer
Mechanical Engineers look for different ways to improve the process of manufacturing and utilization of the resources. They analyze the quality and safety of the product manufacturing unit.
- Design Engineer
For design engineer, aspirants need to opt for two courses on designing, as this job is completely about designing the shapes and sizes of automobiles. Interested aspirants with creativity can look forward to this post after completing their Mechanical Engineering course.
- Development Engineer
They develop a product design meeting the goals of the client or the company working for which they are working. In the future, the professionals also look after the working procedures of lead testing as well as outlining the specifications for manufacturing.
- Skills need to develop to improve job prospects
Some tips for you to increase your job prospects after acquiring mechanical degree:
- For everything, we have software’s, and for that computer proficiency is a must, so try to get familiar with some of the industrial grade software.
- Try to develop your communication and interpersonal skills
- With communications skills, must develop more practical skills and get hands-on experience on theoretical concepts
- Get exposed to current industrial methodologies as much as possible
- Always stay updated with the latest technologies used in the projects
- If possible then take additional certified training programs to build your profile
- Indulge additional responsibilities in your college to showcase your managerial skills
- Develop your leadership and team working abilities
- Pay Scale
Mechanical engineering provides various career opportunities to job aspirants. The average monthly salary of mechanical engineers is $81,874 per year in the United States. There are so many big companies like Raytheon, Microsoft, Jacobs, Intel and many more.
If your college provides good campus placements, then aspirants can get even better packages. Engineers who have a post-graduate degree from a reputed institute can get better offers than diploma and degree.
Annual pay depends on many factors such as the skill set possessed, experience, nature of roles and responsibilities of the employer, etc. Skilled professionals can take away high salary of $100,500 per year.
- Current scenario for Mechanical Engineers
Many mechanical engineering industries are focusing on technology, and thus making the overall situation much better as compared to other engineering streams.
Engineers with perfect skills in CFD, Machining, Latest printing technologies Automobile engineering concepts help to add more value to their average pay scale. Many students are pursuing mechanical engineering to get a highly paid job. For this, they are improving skill sets on latest technologies will definitely impact their pay scale a lot.
So, these are the most common and leading career options available for the students of mechanical engineering. Get yourself prepared according to your aim now.
The career scope of mechanical engineers is very broad. It includes the designing of power machines like a refrigerator and power-producing machines, like electric-based generators. Engineers with a mechanical degree can execute all these works in an efficient way. Engineers with Mechanical degree can show their skills in designing machines that are used in building construction industry, such as elevators, escalators etc.
Nowadays, mechanical engineers do their work by using computers/ laptops extensively. Every field is applying the latest computer technology in developing and analyzing designs, running and testing systems in a machine. Mechanical engineers are responsible for the integration of sensors, controllers, and machinery.
Mechanical Engineering requires a passion for analytical thinking. The perfect way to prove the knowledge, skills, and exposure in this field is to select the best career opportunities.
In the coming years, the scope for mechanical engineers will get the most challenging and the industries will accept according to the skill level of engineers. With more technological advancements, try to polish yourself with new skills and technology.
Nancie L Beckett is a renowned educator and blogger. She has completed her MBA from the University of Pennsylvania and she has 6 years of experience of working with several institutes and organizations. Students who are willing to get academic help from her are recommended to make contact with her directly.